Well, Kira and I are starting to feel back to normal...yea! But now we have to deal with Kira's nightly episodes. Understandably, Kira has not had a normal night's sleep in about two weeks. She wakes up periodically scared, angry, crying or all of the above. I can't blame her. After catching her cold and being about 3 days behind her, by night 2, I knew exactly why she'd wake up hysterical. This has NOT been a fun week. But now that the sore throat, cough, fever and most of the nasal congestion is gone, she has no reason to be waking up anymore, except that she's used to it. Well, after lying and playing with her for two hours past her bedtime last night because she wasn't tired at all and would just cry and kick the door (the joys of "big girl" bed), we decided that she needs more activity during the day. I feel awful for being such a slacker mom this past week. I haven't felt like doing anything all week so Kira got her full share of movies and shows while I've tried to recover. And since she can't play outside (yes, more snow) she's had little real physical activity. And we have been witnesses to the results of a holed-up, practically sedentary toddler. Not fun when you have two parents who desperately need a good night's sleep. Anyway, I'm not that creative so if anyone has any ideas for indoor games for young toddlers, let me know! Here are a few things that I've tried to keep Kira busy with since feeling more human.

- Homemade play dough (doesn't quite get the concept of this kind of messy fun)
- Coloring/chalk
- Helping mommy "clean"
- Dancing
- Activity songs (or what I squeak out with my froggy throat)
- Tea party
- Snowball fight (indoors with balled socks)
- Playing in a pan of snow
- Playing in sink full of bubbles
- Reading lots and lots and lots and lots of books
Anyway, it's been fun to see how many activities we've tried actually are entertaining to her. I've tried things like hide-and-go-seek, but she's a little too young for that. Here's a video of Kira playing in the sink. I thought she looked cute with her dishtowel apron and it cracks be up when she talks to herself!
Hopefully, cutting into her nap (sigh...I'll miss those two hours) and keeping her bedtime a little later will help solve the problem. I can't imagine doing this with two! Maybe Kira's just training us back into being up with a newborn all night...thanks, but no thanks, sweetie.

1 comment:
WHAT A HELPER! How about blowing bubbles. Shave with shaving cream and popcicle stick. Balloon volleyball. Tearing old paper (hekps finger dexterity) Tin can stilts? finger paint with shavingcream on colored construction paper. Bowling with soda bottles and ball (a little water in the bottles keeps them sanding up. Hope these are helpful. I think the best is to come visit sugy and grandma and Nannie!
Post a Comment